Kaboom!!!

Monday 25th August 2008. 2hr

Tidied up after priming. Assembled both aft spars. Dissassembled left leading edge. Marked leading edge ribs for position. Stripped blue vinyl from rivet lines of left leading edge skin.

It was dark by the time I finished last night, so everything was just thrown back into the shop. This evening had to start with a tidying session to make the shop habitable (and workeable) again.

I had just clecoed the parts of the two aft spars together and set up for the first rivets when I noticed that I had no pressure in the hose, even though the compressor had run normally when I switched it on and had cut out after about the right amount of time. On opening the compressor cabinet, I could see that the regulator knob was missing. I found it on the floor of the cabinet with some other parts. The pressure adjustment knob is plastic and fits to a threaded plastic moulding that screws into the top of the regulator. The knob varies the compression in a spring beneath it, which pushes through a plastic flap sitting on top of a valve between the top outlet chamber and a filter chamber below. Everything above this valve had blown off.

Nothing seemed damaged so I tried just screwing it back. No luck. It just blew again more or less immediately. Fortunately, the compressor was bought new and is just entering the last three weeks of its one year guarantee. I took the complete regulator off to return to the supplier tomorrow.

So I had to find some other jobs to make myself useful for the rest of the evening. Getting the blue vinyl off the rivet lines of the skins is always a good fallback to fill in time. As that involved disassembling the left leading edge, I went on to mark the ribs for position, using the same scheme of punch-marks beside holes that I had used for the main ribs.

No comments: