Course Correction

Wednesday 6th August 2008, 1hr 40min

Completed reversal of leading edge ribs. Rearranged the workshop for wing construction. Glued posts for wing stand.

I wrestled the remaining ribs out of the leading edge and wrestled the correct ones in. None of them were easy - I definitely should have just disassembled the whole thing and started again. I bought more duct tape this morning so I was able to pad the saddles for the leading edge, which are now a perfect fit.

I had decided to erect the wing stand over to one side of the shop, leaving enough room to move around the back. This required me to move all three worktables across the shop to line up under the windows. With the castor arrangement, this was not a problem.

I could not find 4X4 lumber for the posts of the wing stand so I had bought 2X4s planed. This stuff was refered to in the store as "CLS". I don't know what that means but it was beautifully straight, nicely planed with radiused corners and had tight core-wood rings, indicating that it was likely to stay straight. I can't understand why it was so cheap ((€4.40 for an 8' length). Construction timber grows very fast in Ireland but it is not of a high quality like this stuff.
Anyway, I glued four lengths together in pairs back to back, with the rings on the end of the posts looking like this: [))][((]. I glued and clamped them overnight.

No comments: