Good Friday

Friday 21st March 2008 (3hr 50 min)


Levelled benches for HS assembly, Riveted in the mid-span nose ribs and end ribs.











That mid span nose rib on each HS is notorious and regularly causes problems. I chose my smallest bucking bar so that I could position it properly . Even then, I could only hold the bucking bar in place with my finger tips and I could not stop it scratching against the primer on the skin or on the rib itself. Since then, I have seen where another builder cuts one inch rings from an old bicycle inner tube and stretches them over his bucking bars to protect the surrounding metalwork - sounds like a great idea. I used the flat mushroom set in the rivet gun and put some magic tape over the manufactured head.

You can see from the second photo that the primer has been scratched by the bucking bar but the rivets look okay from the outside so I am not too bothered. Nonetheless, I have ordered a new bucking bar from Avery along with a few other items that I need, as this problem will come up again. It won't get here in time for the other HS however.

The end ribs were a piece of cake as all the rivets can be squeezed with the pneumatic squeezer.

No comments: