Wings on Order

Monday 28th January 2008

Ordered Wings

I put in my order for wings tonight. The shipping date will be 31st March and they will take about 6 (call it 8) weeks to arrive by sea freight. If that timing holds, I will have the emp well finished and will have two clear months to get my domestic decorating project out of the way.

I was on the very last minute with the order and it was touch and go as to whether my payment would make the Vans bank account before the end of Jan deadline (1 month later than normal this year). In the end, I got the 2007 price and saved 3%

On the strong advice of my inspector, Mick Bevan, I am going to get the tanks made professionally. Vans no longer offer quickbuilt tanks (except with QB wings of course) but they recommend Evan Johnson. I talked to Evan and he was happy to take on the job. He recommended a few changes to spec, such as the delux locking fuel caps. At this stage, it is likely that the rest of the wing kit will have left Aurora before Evan finishes the tanks so they will have to ship separately. There have been some mentions on forums of Evan taking a very long time to build tanks (11 months!) but he tries to prioritise international orders because shipping is such a big deal. Also, he says he has his normal lead time down to two/three months now.

As long as I get them before beginning final assembly on the wings, I don't mind. However, I would not like to rivet anything until I see that they fit. They could travel with the fuse except that I don't have storage space for the fuse crates until I finish the wings and put them up in the roof space of the shop so the tanks will have to fly solo.

No comments: