Platenut worries

Friday 4th January 2008 3 hours 30 min

Countersunk E-616-PP for Platenuts and dimpled #6 holes. Cleaned and etched the VS skin. 2nd coat primed elev parts. 1st coat primed E-616PP and Trim Tab spar. 1st coat primed VS and left elev skins.

I rang Vans support about these platenuts surrounding the inspection plate to which the trim tab servo is attached. the platenuts take the screws attaching the inspection plate. The plans call for the platenut lugs to be countersunk to take the dimples in the inspection plate itself. However they are very insubstantial and I could not see how they could retain enough strength after countersinking. The actual process of countersinking such small parts also seemed difficult. The advice I got was that they are not structural (their only function is to stop the platenut from turing while the #6 attachment screws are being inserted or removed. They suggested that I clamp some scrap metal behind the lugs and use this as a guide and a support while countersinking as necessary to allow the dimples to lie flush. Sorry, I forgot to take photos.

The primer is definitely getting thinner - I got runs everywhere.

No comments: