Fixing more runs and spoiling more parts

Thursday 10th January 2008 1 hr 35min

Re-primed elevator parts after sanding paint runs. Sanded paint runs on Horizontal stabiliser parts and re-sprayed

More of the same soul-destroying process of cleaning up these paint runs. In order to get a good coating over these sanded areas, I want to make sure that the primer is on the thick side so I am sticking with the 10% thinning for the moment, even though I am now getting a rough finish like fine sandpaper.

In checking some primed parts, I found that I had not dimpled the flanges of the VS-706 (the top rib of the vertical stabiliser). No problem. I have found that dimpling after priming works quite well so I set about doing it. However, on the very last hole near the forward edge, I missed the hole and drove the dimple die into the flange beside it, creating a jagged elongated hole.

I checked the Vans website and the part is not expensive. I am also unhappy with the tab bends at the ends of the the trim tab. While they are functionally okay, they don't look great and they will be visible. (You could argue that if the plane is balanced correctly, there will be no deflection of the trim tab and so the ends will not be seen. But one end of the trim tab is part of the "V" formed by the inboard ends of the elevators that allows the rudder its sideways movement and this end of the trim tab will be visible. Anyway; since when was weight and balance ever perfect - otherwise we wouldn't need a trim tab). Because there were two faults to correct, I decided to go ahead and order replacements for both parts.

No comments: