Wings unfurled

Monday 14th July (2hr 50min)

Wing kit Inventory

As with the emp, the neatness and inventiveness of the packing is itself a work of art. This evening, I emptied the spar box, broke it up and stowed the contents away before going on to the main parts box. The bag-of-bags containing all the rivets, small hardware and small parts is in the spar box along with the spar centre section and the spars themselves. There is also a bundle of long angle aluminium pieces (longerons for the fuselage and several long parts such as the rear spar, etc.

My main box looked less than full, what with the fuel tank parts having been sent to Evan Johnson for building. The stars here are the composite wing tips and all the various skins. The tips are best stored on a flat surface standing on the inboard edges. The skins obviously need to be stored flat but I have no further 'real estate' in the attic, so the only option is to store them on their edges, tightly sandwiched between the top cover of the packing case and the side wall of the shop. I hinged the crate to the floor at its bottom edge and secured the top edge to the wall with an old leather belt which I cut in two, screwed to the wall and hooked over some screws. This way, I can slip the belts off their hooks and open the thing up like an art portfolio, giving me access to all the skins stored inside.

To protect the skins further, their bottom edges are resting on a piece of cardboard and they also have a sheet of cardboard between them and the wall and another between them and the crate top.

They certainly need protection because, I managed to ding up the corners of two bottom skins next to inspection holes while I was building this storage. It is only a small ding and I should be able to make it dissapear before I hang the affected skins but I have no idea how it happened, except that I am certain they were perfect when I first opened the box. Be careful how you handle your skins. Preferably get someone to help you with them because they are big and floppy and delicate.

No comments: