Vans comes through

Friday 25th July

Vans agree to ship new spars

It turned out that Terry Elgood changed his mind and regrets not getting new spars. Waves and mismatches between skin edges appeared on his wings only after riveting on the skins - even though the spars had appeared perfectly straight after the re-bending operation. Also, my Inspector Mick Bevan was not very happy about trying to fix such a major part 'in the field'. I pointed this out to Ken Scott and also said that it was important to me that any flaws in my plane should be my own fault and not anybody else's.

Having made my case, and after a short period of reflection, Ken came back and said they would replace the spars. Maybe it was no more than my rights but I still felt great that Vans had stood by me and honoured their side of the bargain. The mark of a truly great company is not that things never go wrong but how well they respond when problems do arise. Clearly Vans are a great company.

Only trouble is that I am going down with a stinking cold; two days before the annual SAAC fly-in and a Michael Bublé concert (separate event - our fly-ins are rather more low-key) next Saturday.

No comments: