Rudder Rolling

Sunday 13th July (3 hr)

Rolled and riveted leading edge of rudder. Put in rivets at narrow end of elevator end ribs. Pop-riveted ribs at narrow end of rudder tip rib.

With a clean shop, I set about finishing off all the left-over jobs from the empennage before settling down to the wing construction phase of the project.

I decided to roll each section of the leading edge separately. These sections are defined by the hinge cut-outs that divide them. Before rolling, I put slight bend in the leading edge of the overlapping skin so that it would lie flat after riveting. Not everybody does this, especially because it is such an inconspicuous spot, but I wanted to get a feel for the process before I get to areas where it may be far more necessary. I used the Isham-supplied tool for the job and I was reasonably happy with the results. There is certainly little or no gap between the skins but the bend that I put in was a little too aggressive and is still visible. It is possible to adjust the gap between the rollers so I may try to have them a little less tight in future. Also, I will probably borrow the Avery's tool from my friend and fellow-builder Bryan Sheane and see how that compares.

For the roll itself, I used a metal tube of just under an inch in diameter. In fact, it is the bottom telecopic section of a lawn umbrella with the plastic fittings removed. This was taped on to the skin using 3M duct tape. I don't think the diameter is critical but a bigger tube will not allow you to over-bend the skin enough so that it springs back to the position you want.

I clamped a vice-grip onto the tube in the hinge openings and rolled the skin making sure that I was also exerting pressure downwards into the bend. This was to prevent any bending of the skin at the point where it crosses the forward edge of the rudder spar. The duct tape adhesive was so strong that removing it threatened to alter the bend just created but, with a little care, it eventually came off. Getting clecos in to the holes was easy at the top but a little harder near the bottom where some hand pressure was needed to get the holes to match up. From there it was a simple matter of drilling out the holes to size and putting in the correct pop-rivets.

Riveting on the skins to the narrow ends of the elevator and rudder ribs was something I had not been looking forward to and had not had any success with until now. My new masonry chisel (with the sharp edge ground off and polished) was a definite improvement. The flats on the handle made it easy to keep everything in position while the rivets were being set. I still had not located rubber grommets of the right size to put over the rivet tail so as to squeeze the skin and rivet flange together but I was able to get the corner of an edge clamp cleco onto the corner of the rib flange close to the rivet without interfering with the job.

Ultimately, however, there just is not enough space in there to set both rivets in the last position, so I had to content myself with pop-rivets on the underside of the elevators and on both sides of the rudder.

First day of 'real' building since the break - and very enjoyable it was too.

No comments: