Right Elevator Skeleton Assembly

Friday 30th Nov 2hrs 40min

Assembled the right Elevator and match-drilled skins, spars and ribs. Disassembled and deburred the skin. Deburred spar and dimpled the top flange. Deburred and dimpled E-906 root rib (except 4 holes at aft end)

Visually, there was a lot more progress this evening. The work seemed to go much more quickly than yesterday.

You have the choice of using solid rivets to attach the skin to some sections of the bottom of the spar - where you can access them through the hinge openings. I had a look at this and what bothered me was that the pattern would look random. So, I decided I had nothing against pop rivets and chose to use a full line of them across the full width of the spar. This meant driling out to #30 and dimpling accordingly.

There was the usual problem with dimpling the narrow end of the root rib and I had broken all the nails that came with my pop-rivet dimple dies. I will have to go looking for some tomorrow. I hope I can find them as they look longer and thinner than any I have seen in the stores.

No comments: