Deburred, Dimpled and De-wildered

Tue. 6th November 2hrs 30 min.

Deburred and dimpled the flange holes for skin attachment in the main and nose ribs. Stripped vinyl from left HS. Deburred and dimpled #40 holes

Smitty found that he had to buy dimple dies with a smaller diameter to dimple flanges where the hole is too close to the web. I didn’t have this problem. Perhaps my dimple dies were of a smaller diameter to start with, though they don’t look nearly as small as the ones he eventually bought. I used my pneumatic squeezer for this and it works well. It can feel a little heavy after a few minutes so I found myself sitting down and resting it on my lap as I worked.

For dimpling skins, the DRDT 2 really is a fine piece of equipment, particularly if you go to the trouble of making up the table according to the drawings they provide. I did have to adjust the height of the table in order to match the height of the lower (usually female dimple dies in their holder so that the skin being dimpled . I did this by attaching ‘skids’ planed to the necessary thickness underneath the feet of the table. I took a measurement after the top surface had been covered with carpet. You do need to be constantly vigilant in positioning the skin so that the male die goes straight through it’s intended hole. It would be so easy to miss the hole and punch straight through the skin.

No comments: