Elevators attached

Monday 7th April 2008 (2hr 20min)

levelled 2 benches, attached left and right elevators to HS. Checked for true.

There seem to be two risks in finishing the elevator trailing edges. the first is that you produce a hooked or wavy edge and the second is that you build in a twist so that one elevator counterbalance horn is out of trail with the HS (either high or low) when the other horn is perfectly aligned with its HS and the trailing edges are also perfectly aligned. This twist is locked in by riveting the tip ribs and trailing edges and the solution seems to be to drill out these rivets and allow the elevators to 'relax' into alignment. I planned to avoid this by having the HS and both elevators assembled and aligned while I riveted the trailing edge.

Today, I began to implement this plan. I reversed the heavy aluminium angle that I have set into the top and edge of one worktable so that the vertical flange was screwed to the side of the table and the horizontal flange was flush with the top and extending out from it. Then I attached both elevators to the HS (BTW, there seems to be plenty of space to get the bolts in if your fingers are in any way nimble). I propped up the front of the HS with some timber under its forward spar until everything was 'in trail'. With one counterbalance clamped to the HS, the other was initially just 1cm or so out of true

This was the first time I had seen these three parts assembled- the horizontal surface area of the thing is vast!

No comments: